augmented reality moth colouring sheet
In collaboration with QuiverVision and especially for this project, we’ve created this colouring sheet that will allow you to design and the bring to life your own moth on your smart device. You can also share a video of it with your friends, along with your message of hope for the future.
Please help us build a digital artwork for the Plymouth Art Weekend in Sept 2020 and COP26 in Nov 2021 by decorating your colouring sheet and recording you selfie, then share it via social media using the hashtag #MothsToAFlame.
We are aiming to make 20,000 digital moths that will form part of a whisper for change at COP26.
Print the colouring sheet. PDF version here.
Colour in your moth.
In the app click on the orange butterfly at the bottom of the homepage.
View the sheet through your device.
Your moth will come to life! Tap the moth on your screen to see it fly!
Press and hold the camera button to record a video of your moth in flight.
Share it with us on social media using #MothsToAFlame or email it to email@example.com
You will need a good wi-fi connection, a device like a smart phone or tablet, and access to a printer.
- Print this Moths to a Flame colouring sheet. PDF version here.
- Colour in the sheet… the central moth is the important bit for the AR experience.
- Download the Quiver app onto your mobile phone or tablet – Quiver 3D Coloring. It’s free! Available from:
Google Play Apple App Store Amazon App Store
- Open the Quiver app. Click on the orange butterfly at the bottom of the homepage.
- Hold your device so that the whole of your colouring sheet can be viewed on the screen (The first time you do this it will download the required files for this sheet). You may need to tap the screen to focus on the sheet.
- Your sheet will turn blue on the screen, and you will hear a ‘boing’ noise, as you moth comes to life! Tap the moth on your screen to see it fly!
- There are 4 buttons at the bottom of the screen.
- The first gives you access to 5 Moth to a Flame Facts.
- The second button switches the colour from your design to those of an Emperor moth. Press again to revert to your design.
- The third button will take a photo if tapped… and record up to 10 seconds of video if held. Press the ‘play’ triangle to watch your video. Press the downwards arrow to save to your device memory.
- On devices with two cameras the final button will flip to your ‘selfie’ camera, perfect for recording a quick video of you with your moth.
- Share your moth videos and selfies on social media using #MothsToAFlame or email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips & tricks
- The central moth is the important bit… but feel free to colour some of the surroundings… how many examples of energy generation and use can you see in the landscape on the sheet… and what about from your window?
- If you do decorate the background be sure to leave paler / uncoloured sections as the app needs to see the black lines.
- The app needs to keep the sheet in view… try tapping the screen and twisting and turning the colouring sheet to adjust your viewpoint.
- To function properly the app needs permission to access your camera, photos and microphone. It isn’t intrusive or nosy… but otherwise it can’t see your lovely colouring, or save the videos that you take.
- Try tapping and dragging on your touch-screen to reposition and interact with your moth.
- The first time that you use the Quiver App on a new sheet it will first download the file required for this particular sheet.